We are Vertigo Games, the largest VR developer in the world and part of the Embracer Group, the largest group of developers in the world. As our Amsterdam studio is in full production of its most ambitious project to date, a true multi-platform high-end VR action shooter based on a global franchise, and with plans to start the next project this year, we are looking to recruit a Lead Environment Artist who can aid us in our mission.
Are you looking to collaborate in a multidisciplinary team to steer implementation of engaging game features and systems for our groundbreaking VR games and experiences? Then we should meet!
- Accountable for their team’s delivery of digital in-game art assets, from 3D meshes and materials to shaders, lighting and environmental VFX.
- Ensures their team complies with the project’s vision, artistic direction, workflow, and technical requirements.
- Builds their team’s skills and expertise through mentoring in a way that facilitates motivation and creativity in the team.
- Engages with the leads and production team in high-level planning of the project, ensuring their team’s deliverables meet project milestones.
- Instigates high-level art-related decisions during the development of the project regarding art-related project risks.
- Facilitates effective cooperation with other disciplines, notably: tech, design, and production.
- Demonstrates a high level of creativity and originality in treatment of both licensed and original IP.
- Keep up to date with relevant developments related to game art production in the market, current and future, following up on new technologies and tools when required.
- Represent the studio to external stakeholders and other contacts.
- Proactively identify skills and experience gaps in the project’s art team.
- Assist the Creative Department Manager with the growth and development of the studio’s art team.
- 3+ Years in a Lead Environment Artist role, with experience of the full development cycle on console/PC titles.
- Strong traditional art fundamentals, including the function of form and color, proportions, shape.
- Proven track record in crafting content that meets both the creative aspiration of the team and needs of the product.
- Demonstrable hands-on art skills, and a desire to keep it that way.
- Highly skilled in agile development methods, a master of Jira and Confluence to track and manage progress.
- Can demonstrate an ability to own complex issues across disciplines and teams.
- A big passion games, art, and visual storytelling.
- Proven creative track record with achievements to show it.
- Can communicate freely in English, both written and verbal.
- Experienced creative leader that inspires the team.
BONUS POINTS FOR
- Working knowledge of environment art implementation in Unreal Engine 4 or 5.
- Experience of developing content for VR.
- A company culture that values a healthy work-life balance.
- A hybrid working model with two office days per week.
- Career coaching and a personal development budget.
- 30% Income tax reduction for eligible expats.
- Relocation cost compensation depending on your situation.
- 26 standard vacation days with an option to buy 5 more.
- Free train commuting to and from the office.
- Free pension plan.
- A healthy lunch in our canteen.
- Group activities and an annual VR game jam.
- Thursday afternoon drinks.
- The latest VR hardware and titles which you can borrow and take home.
- Whilst working from home we provide all the relevant hardware, budget for a desk and chair and a contribution toward your energy costs.
- Apply for this position
Vertigo Games is a multi-platform VR entertainment company with offices in Rotterdam & Amsterdam (NL) and Los Angeles, California (USA).
With experienced teams in the areas of Studios, Publishing and Arcades, the company develops, publishes and distributes a growing portfolio of quality VR games that offer a novel, powerful and full-featured gaming experience both in- and outside of the home.
In 2020, Vertigo Games joined the leading producer and distributor of digital entertainment products, Koch Media, now PLAION (a subsidiary of the Embracer Group), adding VR gaming to the Group’s global network.
In 2021, the company announced it has five more high-end titles in the pipeline for the coming years.
To apply for this job please visit vertigo-games.jobs.personio.com.